Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Hematite On Calcite On Amethyst

This past weekend at the Great San Francisco Crystal Fair I discovered the specimen below on sale from one of the higher-end dealers in the show. I am quite familiar with the wonderful amethyst from Artigas, Uruguay, but this specimen was like none I had ever seen from there... or anywhere! It contained not only calcite on amethyst, something that is not unheard of from the material out of Minas Gerais, Brazil, but also hematite atop individual dogtooth calcite crystals in the midst of calcite crystal clusters atop the amethyst. From the looks of the amethyst which seems to contain some cacoxenite inclusions I'd say it is actually material from Minas Gerais, Brazil, but that is not what the mineral specimen label said. Therefore, I'm not sure one way or the other. 





All photos by Kim Patrick Noyes (all rights reserved).

No comments:

Post a Comment