Monday, May 12, 2008

Random Musings of a Ramblin' Fool V

Mea Culpa
I beg your pardon for my not posting anything for over a week ending yesterday.
I was fatigued from doing shows consecutive weekends not to mention everything else going on in my life.
Add to that the fact blogging is akin to art for me in that it is a creative outlet for me.
I typically must feel inspired to do it or at least to do it well, anyhow.
Anywho, I feel inspired once again so now we're rolling again with "bloggings".

Whole Lot of Shakin' Goin' On
Anybody notice all the interesting stuff going on of late in the natural world?
Of greatest significance is what is going on in Asia with the big earthquake in China that has killed at least 10,000 people as well as Cyclone Nargis that hit Burma (Myanmar) killing at least 30,000 people.

Add to that the deadly twisters that struck Middle America over the weekend killing 22 people along with the other 76 people killed by tornadoes this year putting us on a pace to be the deadliest year for tornadoes in the U.S. since 1985.

Add to that wildfires in Florida burning a dozen homes and closing I-95 and another wildfire over the weekend in Colorado that burned homes.

Add to that interesting earthquake activity of late in this nation like M5.2 in Illinois or the M5.4 in Northern California or the the strange earthquake swarm off the coast of Oregon recently and even a good little jolt here in Atascadero, CA, a couple of weeks ago.

Now we're going to get a major heat wave across the West starting Wednesday and going into this coming weekend.

Toss in the current eruption of Chile's Chaitin Volcano which could yet erupt catastrophically along with the ongoing but gradually escalating ominousness in Hawaii at Kilauea Volcano and you get the feeling that we're in an especially dangerous time.
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Aren't you?

There Goes The Neighborhood

The other day for the very first time I saw an abandoned car in my neighborhood that somebody had just dumped up the street and around the corner.
Talking to a neighbor next to where this happened I learned of a possibility it was from a tenant who just left the house in back next door that was being rented, but regardless, it was a first in yet another sign my town is changing towards a more busy and urban environment with the multitude of petty crimes that go with that such as litter and tagger graffiti and break-ins to cars and vandalism, etc.

Lack of Respect
Speaking of tagger graffiti, I was walking the railroad tracks here in Atascadero with my dog Tequila for exercise this afternoon.
I like doing this in the particular area I was in (south of Curbaril Ave.) as I have walked there since 1982.
Doing so gives me a sense of continuity like a touchstone.
I get good thinkin' and prayin' done when I walk in places like that I've noticed.

Anywho, there is a railroad trestle about a half a mile south of Curbaril Avenue that used to be pristine and I played around and under it back in the halcyon days of my youth in the early 1980's.
Walking there today I noticed a whole assortment of dumped furniture and household refuse and tagger graffiti all over the concrete walls of the trestle stamped with the year "1943".
This newer generation clamors for "respect" all the while not showing it to other's and their stuff and to old places and old things that have meaning they can't even comprehend.
People built that trestle during World War Two.
That thing has been there for 65 years.
Who built it?
What were they like?
What did they think of their accomplishment in building it?
What happened to them in their life?
This trestle and any others they built are probably their only monument that they were ever here on this earth other than perhaps their gravestones.
I as a youth respected their work and the railroad's property but these new punks these days do not it seems.
I realize they are probably not representative of their entire generation.
Yet, NOBODY from my generation graffitied up that trestle unless those responsible are guys in their late 30 to early 40's.

Absurdity of the Day
Today I heard that the junior Senator from Illinois claims he has more foreign policy experience than either Hillary Clinton or John McCain.
Oh really?
Whatevah!

"Idiot of the Week"

I only just today became aware that Bob Barr is now a Libertarian and today announced his candidacy for President.
I'm the closest to being a Libertarian of any of the political parties, but have never registered as one as I never like any of their candidates and don't agree with them on enough things to feel at all connected to them.
Now I have one more good reason not to vote Libertarian for President this year.
This guy is the single most obnoxious figure (other than Clinton himself) related to the Clinton Impeachment (which I didn't disagree with mind you).
He came across at that time as a pompous and sanctimonious character (see how honorably I worded that as "character" was not the word I wanted to use).
Anywho, it later came out that he, of militant anti-abortion and anti-adultery timber, had in 1983 pressured one of his former wives into getting an abortion and then two years later used a legalism to avoid having to answer in divorce proceedings if he had cheated on Wife Two with Wife Three.
Did you know he has his own talk radio show in which he has a segment entitled "Idiot of the Week" and then he has a playoff of those "idiots" and the winner is "Idiot of the Year"?
Is that rich or what?

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

On a more positive note I'm indescribably excited at the prospect of another Indiana Jones moving coming out.
The new one is called Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
I'm relieved they used Harrison Ford, again, instead of some newish "Young Indiana Jones" sort of thing. The TV series by that name was great but let's not go any further down that track and just enjoy Ford as Indy while we have Ford and then when he's no longer able to do the character let it rest.

TV Show Theme Song Website

Could any of you help me find a website whose address I've lost?
It contained a nearly complete collection of all the great and not-so-great American TV show theme songs and scores which played in full and for free. It even had the new Battlestar Gallicata themes as well as the old one and hundreds more.
They were all organized in alphabetical order.
If you know of what I refer to please post it as a comment here.
Thanks in advance.

Fini

2 comments:

  1. This would be the link:
    http://www.televisiontunes.com/

    Good post, by the way.
    It is interesting how many disasters are suddenly happening all at once, after a while of quietude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind comments.
    Yep, a lot goin' on right now.
    Yes, I understand there is a constant ebb and flow of all things in life and after quiescence there are the inevitable surges of activity.
    However, when you are in one of those surges there is more going on and thus it is a more dangerous time than during the quiescent periods.

    By the way, THANK YOU for finding me that link. I had looked to no avail some time ago but gave up after finding so many links to inferior websites and not THAT ONE.
    Televisiontunes.com is the best one by far and away, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete