Sunday, September 28, 2008

2008 Monterey Gem & Mineral Show Pt. 3


This morning to start the day we checked out of the Travel Lodge after partaking in their "continental breakfast" again.

We then headed across the street to the fairgrounds and parked for the day and went in and did what little set-up was required, to wit, remove the covering put on our booth for the overnight period and turning on the lights and replacing a few gaps where material sold with fresh material.

The day started typically slow for a Sunday morning so nobody punched any panic buttons.
Unfortunately for me, things never really got going to the degree they had the day before which was the reverse for Mike as he did not so great yesterday but cleaned up today.

I had hoped to match yesterday's success today so that I could justify purchasing that Gibeon meteorite the Richter's are selling at their Rocks & Relics booth but no dice.
If I'm to have it God will make everything line up for me.
Certainly nobody has bought it during or since the June Cayucos Show where I first spotted it and fell in love at first sight so maybe there is a chance for me to get it yet.

The Air Force Thunderbirds passed over again today which triggered in me the usual reponse of anxiety and exhilaration.

As the day drew to a close things slowed down prematurely it seemed with only a few small sales for me although Mike was having a great day compared to yesterday for him.

I wasn't the only one having an unsatisfying day as at least one other vendor who shall go unnamed sat glumly in their chairs as I walked up to compare notes: misery loves company!

Despite the slowness of this day for me I was overall extremely pleased with the show, both in my own success but also in Mike's as well as in how the overall show played out and the host Carmel Valley Gem & Mineral Society did a great job promoting and carrying out the show and we earnestly hope to be invited back next year.

They did their usual breakdown of the show at the end of the weekend with military-like precision and coordination with most of the displays being removed before Mike and I were even done breaking down our own booth and by the time we left there was not much left in the show hall.

We left after dark just like last year and headed home via Fairgrounds Road to Garden Road to Olmstead Road to Highway 68 to US101 and on home with a short break for gas and a bite to eat at a fast food join in Salinas which was interesting after dark.
Fortunately, nothing bad happened there nor at any other point along the home and we got home safely each to our respective abodes.




No comments:

Post a Comment