Sunday, May 3, 2009

Rocky Canyon Quarry Hike

Today I took a short mile and a half (one way) or so jaunt up Rocky Canyon Road from the intersection with Halcon Road all the way to the back of Rocky Canyon Quarry. Just past the house on the left within sight of that intersection is a gate as motorized traffic is discouraged except for residents and Rocky Canyon Quarry activity.

Today was a Sunday so the quarry was shut for the weekend and I had the place to myself. There is an easement through the quarry for those traversing the Rocky Canyon Trail but they discourage wandering off of that easement. I am mostly respectful of that but did stray a little bit on this day in order to feed my passion for taking some photos. Besides, being a rock guy like I am means I cannot remain exclusively on a public easement through any quarry.

Attention...Caution...Warning


Entrance view


Shaped like a volcano.


Arrows lead the way through.


This contraption reminds me of the Queen Alien in her egg chamber.


Pleasant-looking texture.


More eye-pleasing textures.


A cave of sorts.


The quarry equipment rests in a hallowed out canyon area created by older quarrying.


More gravel, but hey, what do you expect? It's a gravel quarry!


Plenty of signage all the way through the quarry so no excuse getting lost.


Interesting interplay of shadow and shape.


Pines planted in the original terraces are becoming noticeably large now.


The Experimental Test Plot (native plants) was planted in 1993.


Beautiful blooming wildflower whose name I know not.


The long grade at the back of the lower quarry area.


Panoramic view from the back of the lower quarry area.


View from below of the newer upper quarry area.


My late paternal grandfather designed and sold conveyor belt systems.
Seeing the conveyor belt systems here makes me think of him.


The closer pile of gravel is actually sinking into a hole that feeds onto a conveyor belt.

I am now contemplating talking to the quarry people here (Union Asphalt, Inc.) and seeing if they would give the SLO Gem & Mineral Club a guided tour as our club field trip one month this Summer when it is otherwise too hot to do much rockhounding on the Central Coast.

All photographs by Kim Patrick Noyes. All right reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment