Monday, January 11, 2016

The Best of Bowie

Tonight it was announced that the legendary David Bowie died at age 69 a couple of days after his birthday upon which his last album was released although at least one track from it was released a couple of months early. To me he was an essential part of my first experiences with MTV in its Golden Age of the early to mid-1980s.


This was my favorite Bowie track and accompanying music video. It was released in 1983 appearing in the album Let's Dance. I have fond memories of hanging out with childhood friend Jon Marsh and watching this on his MTV.


This is my second-most favorite Bowie song and accompanying video. It was released in 1983 and it, too, was in the album Let's Dance. It likewise gives me a similar sentimental reaction from being experienced the same as above.


I still remember (and love) this song from the 1986 Jim Henson movie Labyrinth which I saw with my mother and brother on vacation in Portland, OR, in the summer of 1986. That was our first big family trip without dad following his death several months before. 


Here is David Bowie's swan song "Blackstar" which was released late last year and is included in the album Blackstar which was released on Bowie's 69th birthday just a couple of days ago. Given Bowie had been battling cancer the past 18 months or so, therefore he was sick when filming this music video which is clearly thematically his swan song.

No comments:

Post a Comment