Monday, August 25, 2008

Random Musings of a Ramblin' Fool VIII

Mom's Sixty-Fourth

Today mom turned 64. I'm so glad God has given her to us this many years.
I am so broke right now I was unable to do more for her than take her out to dinner in Cayucos following a 3.3 mile walk on the beach from the dog beach at Toro Creek inlet down to the state park parking lot at Old Creek inlet. Mom said she had a great time and since that is all that mattered I'm content.

A New Roommate

Today I got a call from my most promising potential roommate telling me he accepts the room.
I'm so happy and relieved! He looks like a cool guy and is an American of Korean decent and to be quite honest I'm rather fed up with white guys for roommates. They haven't been working out well for me of late.

My First Job?

I got a bite today from an employer at a financial firm who is looking for "a part-time associate."
I'm going to call the gentleman tomorrow morning and see how that goes.
He contacted me via Craigslist where he had seen my "Special Job Wanted By Special Guy" piece. I hope this works out but we'll have to wait and see. A financial firm sounds like something I'd be decidedly not interested in, however, none of what I said was a red flag to him and he said my Hawaiian shirt wardrobe should not be a problem which intrigues me so maybe this is a special place which is what I'm looking for.

Selling the Big Sikhote-Alin Meteorite

I've finally decided to sell my big Sikhote-Alin meteorite as badly as I wish to keep it.
I had hoped to make it a family heirloom but given its value and my debt it is just not right to hold onto it. There is a guy up in Santa Cruz County whom I gave assurance to that he'd have first crack at it were I to sell it which I almost forgot so tomorrow I call him and offer it to him.
If he can't afford what I'm asking then I'm going to place it on eBay for $9,800 and see what happens. The thing is the largest Sikhote-Alin I've ever seen and is certainly worth not just the weight value (11 kilograms) which your average good Sikhote-Alin bringing about $1/gram this having 11,000 grams but given its unusual size garners more value as well such as perhaps $2/gram.

Bill Maher Is A Complete Asshole

I saw Bill Maher on Larry King Live last night. I could only bear to watch it several minutes which which was nearly unbearable. I have no problems with folks who hold views I don't agree with including atheism and agnosticism and have met great folks from both ideological camps. However, Maher is just so damned smug and self-righteous and judgmental, not to mention hypocritical and his brand of secular humanistic intellectualism is itself anti-intellectual but he cannot see the irony, of course.

2008 Democratic Convention

Tonight the Dems started their convention which stank to high heavens saved only by Teddy Kennedy. It was sad to him up there speaking in what was his swan song which he and everybody else recognized while giving us a mere flash of that Kennedy passion and a faint wisp of wistfulness at what might have been had his own personal failings not crippled his political ambitions.
It was also sad seeing a man of his age and assumed wisdom and certainly gifted with the Kennedy name and brother to both Jack and Bobby demonstrating a decided lack of judgment extolling a weak sister like Barack Obama and asserting he will bring change.
Nobody, most of all Obama himself, has even begun to explain how he will bring change other than he and his water-carriers using that word as a vapid and trite campaign mantra, ad infinitum, ad nauseum. Indeed, that mantra was one which Clinton 42 memorably used in 1992. Did I mention nothing changed? Indeed, many of Bush 41's policies were continued from NAFTA to immigration to gays in the military even if euphemistically retitled like "don't ask, don't tell."


Uppity Ivan

Now the Russians are threatening to break off cooperation with NATO while NATO threatens same with the Russians who themselves say they aren't too worried about it.
Now add to that the Russian parliament has voted unanimously in favor of recognizing both break-away regions of Georgia, to wit Abkhazia and South Ossetia. This seems ironic if not a bit hypocritical of the Russians in light of their own troubles with restive regions like Chechnya.
The situation between the Russians and the West has not been this tense since the end of the Cold War and keeps worsening by the day it seems. Things are getting interesting in a hurry and Al Qaeda has never seemed less relevant since 9/11.

Tropical Storm Fay

Tropical Storm has turned out to be quite a storm making a record four landfalls in Florida and dumping prodigious amounts of rain across the Sunshine State and leading to the deaths of 13 Americans and 23 people on the Island of Hispaniola. The storm caused a oak tree to fall on the home of former President Jimmy Carter while he and former First Lady Rosalynn Carter were home but neither was hurt.

Fini

No comments:

Post a Comment