Saturday, November 22, 2008

2008 San Miguel Rockhound Tailgater

Today was Santa Lucia Rockhounds member Cliff Bowen's tailgater in San Miguel which seems to just get bigger and better every year.
This year was my second time doing it and it was a rousing success for me personally.
I showed up earlier than last year when I learned I had missed a pretty good surge of visitors earlier in the morning after I showed up to set up. This year I showed up earlier but there was no such surge. In fact, there was no one big surge but a steady stream of visitors kept me reasonably busy the entire six hours or so I was there.


My booth, pictured above and below, was the largest set-up but hardly the only one as we had both some returning dealers as well as at least one new one in the persons of Santa Lucia Rockhounds President Gene Bilyeu and his lovely wife Barbara who is also a club officer.
This was the Bilyeu's first foray into being INSIDE the sales booth as opposed to OUTSIDE and they seemed to enjoy it and have reasonable success.



A lady I had never met before showed up part-way into the day and wanted to know if I wanted to purchase any of her jewelry. Some years ago she said she started to get into selling jewelry at shows but got out of it due to health issues.
On this day she was on her way back from selling what she could to a jeweler in San Luis Obispo.
She heard mention of this event on the radio or saw a flier and dropped by to sell what she could to dealers present at this tailgater.
I told her I wasn't interested in what she had but that she was welcome to use my small back table to sell her stuff herself to the visitors at this tailgater.
She gratefully accepted my offer and proceeded to do land office business.
On the inside I was a bit bummed at all the business she was doing while I seemed to get ignored by everybody.
That was until she started spending most of the money she was making at my booth purchasing items from me and the rest over at the Bilyeu's booth.
That was a classic example of good karma at work. ;-p

My hope (and Cliff's as well) is that this event becomes bigger and bigger and develops into an important regional rockhound tailgate event.

Kimmer

No comments:

Post a Comment