Monday, June 29, 2015

Why I Love The Late James Horner

As some of you noticed and most of you have not and don't care, James Horner, one of Hollywood's greatest movie scorers died in a plane crash a week ago today. It happened out in the middle of nowhere (to most people) in Quatal Canyon which is in the Los Padres National Forest east of Highway 33 and south of Highway 166 roughly near Ventucopa, CA. Strangely enough, I had previously visited where he died while exploring there about a dozen years ago. Also, at the time of the crash, I was monitoring Twitter and the Hotlist and saw the initial dispatch for a plane down with fire at that location not realizing who was aboard the aircraft. I have dearly loved the cinematic sound of James Horner ever since The Wrath of Khan in 1982 followed by The Search For Spock in 1983 followed by Aliens in 1986 and Willow in 1988. Given how I dropped off the face of the earth by 1990 I did not follow his work since then given how few movies he scored since that time which I have actually watched. He was at his best scoring the antagonists and his sound transformed each of these movies from good movies into great ones. If context is everything then so is tone as a form of context.







1 comment:

  1. He was one of my favorite movie composers. A few of my favorites that he did: Mask of Zorro, Titanic, Braveheart, and Legends of the Fall. Such a sad loss.

    ReplyDelete