Thursday, February 9, 2017

Ghost Racer


This is the only extant public footage we have of the late Anthony Ray Riso driving his reproduction 1965 Shelby Cobra 427r. Two Saturdays ago, he lost control of this vehicle while driving southbound on Highway 101 at Highway 46 West. His high performance built-for-speed racing car left the road at high speed and tore out part of the guard rail for the 101 Freeway overpass of Highway 46. It then rolled several times and struck a tree, bursting into flames and killing the 32 year-old driver. Passersby vainly attempted to free him from his four-point harness. Riso was married and a father of two children. Below is footage of him in the car as viewed from a residence in Paso Robles, CA, where he lived. I am always haunted by such things since I lost my own father in a tragic workplace accident when I was 15 years old. Such stories remind me of the fragility and ephemeral nature of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment