Thursday, October 17, 2013

My San Simeon Quake Wines

Speaking of earthquake wines, that reminds me of these bottles of Turley wine I picked up in 2004 following the M6.5 San Simeon Quake. They cost quite a bit (they are on the "West Side" of the Paso Robles AVA and quite good) and I got in on some of the last bottles they sold and I'm glad. I've taken good care of them so they should be fine and perhaps only get better with time. They are related to the earthquake by way of the oak barrels in which they were being aged were tossed to the floor of their wine cellar. These wines came from those barrels that managed not to break.
Note: Turley being on the "West Side" placed them rather near the the most intense shaking produced by the earthquake in 2003 hence the damage within their wine cellar.  

An essential part of my wine collection juxtaposed in front of the church and preschool next door.

2002 Zinfandel from the Pisenti Vineyard

2001 Zinfandel special in smallish bottle

2001 Zinfandel from the Dusi Vineyard.

Detail of the quake label which appears on each bottle from this family of  earthquake-effected vintages.

Photos by Kim Patrick Noyes (all rights reserved)

No comments:

Post a Comment