Thursday, October 16, 2014

Quote of the Day - C.S. Lewis

Tonight at my church "home group" (a bible study DELUXE) which has become my spiritual family, we continued reading C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. In particular, I read and we analyzed with my facilitation Book 2, Chapter 8 entitled "The Greatest Sin". It was the best chapter yet in the book and filled with highly repeatable quotes. Tonight I share with you this rather profound one:
"How is it that people who are quite obviously eaten up with Pride can say they believe in God and appear to themselves very religious? I am afraid it means they are worshiping an imaginary God. They theoretically admit themselves to be nothing in the presence of this phantom God, but are really all the time imagining how He approves of them and thinks them far better than ordinary people: that is, they pay a penny's worth of imaginary humility to Him and get out of it a pound's worth of Pride towards their fellow-men." ~ C.S. Lewis in Mere Christianity

1 comment:

  1. Genuine humility is always a sure sign that one is one the right path, even as one's own inner sense of worthlessness argues otherwise.

    ReplyDelete