Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Picture of the Day - Rinconada Changes

Today I took a hike on the Santa Lucia District of the Los Padres National Forest on one of my favorite trails, Rinconada Trail. My hiking wing-man had never been on it and I had not been on it since reaching the weight of 280 lbs. Needless to say, it was a first for both of us. After struggling with my first wind I felt great through my second and third winds. Of note on the ascent was the huge die-off of an invasive vine that had thrived in a sheltered drainage in the lee of the mountainside. Also, some other adjacent plants had died along with the vine colony. The cause was obvious: the spring which had supported much growth in that drainage including the vine had dried up since I last hiked this path last spring.
After getting back to the car parked at the trailhead I took my buddy around the mountain a short distance to see what remains of the Rinconada Mine adits and retorts and other mine artifacts. Since last I visited this site graffiti artists had desecrated the already violated site with much more substantial graffiti and target practice refuse.
Both photos by Kim Patrick Noyes (all rights reserved)

No comments:

Post a Comment