Friday, March 25, 2016

Scripture of the Day - Paul (ICor.13:1-8)

A friend of mine in Chicago posted a graphic on her Facebook wall tonight featuring a quote by a minor pop cultural figure in defense of love. It brought to my mind this passage of Scripture, to wit, I Corinthians 13:1-8, all of which and more was memorably read by then-British Prime Minister Tony Blair at the funeral of Princess Diana which can be viewed HERE. Below is my rendering of this beautiful passage which I shared on her wall in response.
"Though I speak in the languages of Mankind and Angels, and have not love, I am essentially a noisy gong or a clanging symbol. And were I to possess the gift of prophesy, and understand all mysteries and all wisdom; and though I have complete faith, so that I could move mountains, and yet have not love, I am nothing. And though I give away all my possessions to feed the poor, and though I sacrifice my body, and yet have not love, it is worthless to me. Love is patient, and is kind. Love is not envious; love boasts not, is not proudful, does not act unseemly, is not selfish, is not short-tempered, is not distrustful, takes not pleasure in sin, but rather in truth, bears all things, is open-minded, is endlessly hopeful, endures all things. Love never fails; prophecies shall eventually expire; tongues shall eventually all silent; knowledge shall eventually fade away." (Kimicus ad Absurdum translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment