- Hated his first name John, hence "J. Vernon" McGee.
- Was a reserve in the US Army cavalry as a very young man.
- While casting about as a youth, at least once attended a Communist Party meeting.
- Met his soul-mate, Ruth Inez Jordan, on a blind date set up by mutual married friends.
- Tried to enlist as a chaplain during World War II but was informed he was too old.
- Was an avid rockhound often heading to the High Desert in the 1940s & 1950s.
- Enjoyed photography, especially of flowers and Pasadena's Rose Parade.
- Favorite flower was the camellia which grew in abundance in his back yard.
- Was strongly afraid of flying in an airplane (but flew a lot anyway).
- Once received a high-end popcorn maker from actress Joan Crawford (long story).
Wednesday, December 16, 2015
Top Ten J.V. McGee Things You Probably Didn't Know
Here are ten things I bet most of you did not know about my late maternal grandfather, John Vernon McGee, known to you as Dr. J. Vernon McGee.