Wednesday, January 31, 2018

My First & Only Blue Blood Supermoon

Earlier this morning at a quarter to 3 a.m. I checked out the blue supermoon before it turned red while I slept. I was awakened by my cat or my bladder or something at 4:35 a.m. and went out and rechecked the moon. At that point it was further to the west behind a huge oak tree sans leaves so I could see it perfectly if I stood in the right place. It was in all its blue blood supermoon splendor at that point. I went to bed thinking I'd miss it and was blessed by not missing it at all. My only regret is that I did not have a good camera with which to capture it. The last one of these visible in North America was in 1866 so I'm pretty sure I won't see another one.
*Note: supermoons are when the full moon happens when the moon is at or near its closest orbit to Earth while a blue moon is the second full moon to occur in a given month while a blood moon is when the moon is partially eclipsed enough that it casts a partial shadow upon the earth which makes it appear reddish in the sky. Photo courtesy of USFS (all rights reserved).

No comments:

Post a Comment