Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Random Musings of a Ramblin' Fool II

Am I A Dirty Old Man?
 
Today while out taking a walk with my little dog Tequila I had a sudden realization: I'm exactly TWICE as old as my girlfriend. Yikes!
Does that make me a dirty old man?
Prolly not as we have agreed to save sex for marriage and despite temptation have somehow managed it thus far.

My Sucky Birthdate
 
Having one's birthdate on April 15 sucks more than you can know.
Folks are not in as charitable a mood as otherwise nor are they much concerned with your birthday as they are finishing up their tax returns (or starting doing them as may be the case).
I suppose having one's birthdate on Christmas would be as bad in a different way as one's birthdate and Christmas would be combined giving one a net loss of potential gifts received over the course of one's life.
Then there are the Leap Year birthdates which I don't even want to wrap my tired brain around now.

Fire Season Looms
 
The grass even in my neighborhood is starting to turn brown and the smell of curing grass fills the air most days lately. The fire season looks to start early this year and will be severe given all the grass that has grown from the heavy rains we got early in the Winter but with the rain cutting out early as well things are drying out early, too. There was a roadside grassfire down in San Luis Obispo the other day so we may have sorta already begun the fire season around here.


Barack Obama
 
I used to like Barack Obama before he was a Presidential candidate and before I knew about his church and his de facto paterfamilias, Dr. Jeremiah Wright.
I used to consider him a great hope for the future of the Democratic Party and perhaps the nation as a whole.
He was my favorite Dem second only to Joseph Lieberman (I realize he's no longer a registered Dem but he's basically a Dem).

Now I cannot bear to listen to Obama or even watch him on television.
He makes me sick to my stomach.
He's even more full of shit than Clinton 44 who I prefer to him.
I never would have imagined myself feeling that way in the past.

Needless to say, it's been a weird political season.
I dread the future no matter who wins.
We're all about to lose I suspect but I hope I'm wrong.

In regards to Obama's mentor Dr. Jeremiah Wright, what is he a doctor of anyway? Demagoguery?
I suspect/hope Obama only obliquely share's Wright's views.
However, after his rather strange comments about his grandmother I'm not so sure.
On top of that is his relationship with Dr. Wright for which Obama's explanations insult one's intelligence.
Add to that are his wife's comments both now and her thesis in college for which her college won't release said thesis until the day AFTER the election and I'm no longer so certain of anything about that couple.

Regardless of what the deal is on that I suspect I know at least one thing that happened in regards to these suspicious collaborations in his life and it worked like this:
Early on, an ambitious young Barack Obama felt the need for some networking to help work himself up the ladder by hob-knobing and ingratiating himself with prominent members of the Chicago-area black community.
He found Dr. Wright and his church a useful vehicle that would make him (Obama) as well-connected as he could hope to be.
It worked great for so long as you can now see but now he's paying the inevitable price and I don't sympathize with him the least bit.
He made a Faustian pact and got burned which always happens.
To quote Malcolm X: the chickens have come home to roost.

Bolide Impacts
 
This theme seems to keep coming up time and again in recent years.
This very real threat seems to have finally stuck in the public consciousness as the theme seems to be resonating with many people.
This has been enabled by documentaries on NAT GEO and the Hitler Channel and the Discovery Channel, et al to go along with those two movies several years ago particularly Deep Impact .
Tonight, the History Channel featured two episodes of their popular series Mega-Disasters .
One featured comets in general and focused on the comet strike that created Burckle Impact Crater at the bottom of the Indian Ocean about five thousand years ago and finished with a hypothetical comet-strike offshore of San Francisco that utterly destroyed it.
The other one featured asteroids in general and focused on the Chicxulub Impact Crater in Mexico 65 million years ago and finished with a hypothetical asteroid-strike offshore of Los Angeles that utterly destroyed it.

Monterey Show
 
I received in the mail yesterday the contract to the Carmel Valley Gem & Mineral Society's Monterey Show late this September. This was unexpected as we had been warned that we might not be back due to space problems at that end but those have been avoided and we're in like Flynn.

Poison Oak Update
 
My poison oak I picked up hunting for a lost mine last Saturday seems to have maxed out and is now on the ebb so I'm delightfully surprised at the mellowness of this outbreak considering my level of exposure.
Some of the countermeasures I took really seem to have worked so I'm making a mental note.

On The Home Front I'm Leaving Home
 
It looks like I got the dog drama with my newest roommate cleared up so I'll be leaving tomorrow for Arizona/New Mexico.I'll be sure to keep you all posted here throughout the course of my journey (I hope).

Fini

No comments:

Post a Comment