Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Rock Monster's Maw

In the course of my adventure yesterday riding along with my friend in a truck involved with hauling this year's wine grape harvest I came upon a strange rock structure in the Cuyama River canyon downstream from Twitchell Reservoir but upstream from the junction with the Sisquoc River which from there both converge to become the Santa Maria River. Below is my photo analysis.  

At first this rock outcropping caught my attention.
One feature in particular caught my attention.
It struck me rather quickly that this feature strongly resembled a head or gaping mouth.
This rock feature immediately reminded me "Vaal" from the Star Trek episode "The Apple".
I was easily able to fit inside this stucture.
This view is more reminiscent of a cobra with hood extended.
I wonder if the local Chumash people used this as a rock shelter at any point.
Interesting iron oxide stain patterns.
This is obviously all sedimentary rock.
All photos by Kim Patrick Noyes (all rights reserved).

No comments:

Post a Comment