Friday, July 29, 2016

My Top Thirty Favorite Idioms

These are my favorite idioms (in no specific order) and I do use them all in my own speech. It is worth noting that a disproportionate percentage of these originate from south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Yes, my family (my mom's side) comes from the South.
  1. Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition. 
  2. Lord willing and the creek don't rise. 
  3. A day late and a dollar short. 
  4. There's method to my madness (and madness to my method).
  5. Doesn't know his/her ass from a hole in the ground. 
  6. Like a horse on the way back to the barn. 
  7. Hear it straight from the horse's mouth.
  8. Don't have a dog in that fight. 
  9. Barking up the wrong tree. 
  10. A picture paints a thousand words.
  11. Fall on your sword. 
  12. Take one for the team.
  13. Bite the bullet.
  14. All show and no go.
  15. Snake in the grass. 
  16. Kill two birds with one stone. 
  17. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. 
  18. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
  19. Got too big for his/her/your/my britches. 
  20. Penny for your thoughts. 
  21. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.
  22. Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.  
  23. Barndoor is open and the horses are out.
  24. Like putting lipstick on a pig. 
  25. The ball is in your court.
  26. Jumping on the bandwagon.
  27. Throw him/her under the bus.
  28. Steal his/her/your/my thunder.
  29. Pissed in your cornflakes.
  30. Elephant in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment