Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Music Video Couplet


Back in the 1980's when MTV was at its cultural and artistic peak one of the better artists was the short-lived supergroup Asia created not only some wonderful period music but also some very memorable music videos that struck just the right cord for the time period. Below is "Don't Cry" which is my favorite work by Asia not to mention one of my favorite music videos of the 1980's, the era when the music video reached its artistic zenith.



A couple of years ago the hip-hop group The Black Eyed Peas of whom I haven't been a fan until more recently came out with a more electronica sound in their album The E.N.D. which trend they continued in their subsequent and most recent album The Beginning. Anywho, my favorite one of their music videos (and one of my favorite of their songs) "Meet Me Halfway". Its video (below) thematically really reminds me of the video for "Don't Cry" and watching both videos you can see why with the catchy hybridization of Dune and Indiana Jones movie-inspired imagery filled with numerous symbols many of which have no obvious meaning to the viewer (while some of them do).



Fini

1 comment:

  1. Gah, how I miss Asia! Great music video montage--keep 'em coming!

    Signed,
    Thoroughly Entertained :-)

    ReplyDelete