Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Summer Harvest At Kiler Canyon Farm

Early this morning my buddy Kay Dow (with whom I attended high school) and I headed out to Kiler Canyon Farm CSA and helped with the weekly harvest. She and I both are locavores and enthusiastic members of this Community Supported Agriculture enterprise located at the very end of Kiler Canyon Road several miles southwest of Paso Robles, CA. Owner/Operators Quill and Chapponica Trimmell and Dan and Kayleen Trimmell (I attended high school with Kayleen, too) graciously invite their member/investors to join in the weekly harvest. They and their staff (Keren and Rory who also happen to be my neighbors in Paso Robles) patiently train such guests how to conduct their assigned tasks. Later during the harvest morning (Wednesdays) the Trimmells fete all the harvesters with a generous farm breakfast of home-made and local food, most of it food from this farm. This day was no exception as the training was patiently done (it was nice to need less of it on this second harvest experience for me). It was also nice to work early thus avoiding the heat predicted for today. See me Visiting Kiler Canyon Farm last Spring. The following images were taken in the order presented below.

The morning calm and long shadows were a nice contrast to my usual lifestyle of urban life in Paso Robles (as small-town as that is).
Sunflowers figure prominently in the floral decor of this farm.
I love sunflowers so get used to seeing them in this photo sequence.
From Kiler Canyon Road's end looking back towards the way into town.
Floral sunshine
Keren and Rory
I helped with the squash harvest.
Corn I presume.
Kiler Canyon Farm is located in a tranquil and secluded dell west of Paso Robles.
Keren and Rory working in the packing shed where the share baskets are loaded.
All photos by Kim Patrick Noyes (all rights reserved).

No comments:

Post a Comment