Sunday, September 9, 2012

Apostle's Creed ~ My Credo

Earlier this evening at a Sunday evening sermon taught by my pastor, the Apostle's Creed was introduced to me for the very first time. I have spent most of my life shunning most of the trappings of traditional religiosity be it catch-phrases (WWJD) or popular books (The Purpose Driven Life) and so on. This particular element of traditional Christian religion I find most awesome and useful and not at all gag-inducing like so much else in this general category. It is an all-purpose primer on the Gospel itself and I claim it as my credo as well.

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.
Amen.

Source: Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I memorized this during my catechism classes or I would've missed it, too. However, the Catholic version adds a little more to it, and it is recited in our Church every Sunday.

    ReplyDelete