Sunday, November 10, 2013

Scripture of the Day - Isaiah

Note: it has been nearly three months since my last "Scripture of the Day" column here. Prior to that it was a four-month interval between consecutive such columns. These are not chance facts, but rather artifacts of the fact that I have not been getting into the Word solo with any consistency for much of this year. Well,  apart from doing so in conjunction with other believers at church and home church which part of my life has been sufficient. However, that is a different sort of connecting with God and getting into His word than reading alone in personal study of the Word as part of investing in my personal relationship with God and time tithing of sorts which offers different possibilities for God to speak to me through His Word.

Anywho, below is a pointedly prescient and applicable passage quite apropos to any time and place in the human story. However, none more so than right now. It is applicable to the unbeliever as well as the lapsed believer equally so. We live in a time and place that is existing on the bubble while not fully appreciating that fact. We are in the relative calm before the storm. This passage points to the necessity for all of us to be serving God either in starting to do so now before it is too late or continuing to do so as may be the case before whatever is about to happen breaks forth upon all of us.

I am quite surprised that this passage has not been previously posted in this blog. Better late than never I suppose.  It might surprise you to know that I actually have had this passage entirely memorized my entire adult life which is rare given my propensity to not memorize poems, lyrics, Scriptures, etc.

Seek the Lord while he may be easily found, call upon while He is nearby. Let the wicked person forsake his own way, and the unrighteous person his own thoughts and let him return unto the Lord, and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon all sin. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your way my ways, says God. For as the sky is higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain comes down and the snow from above, and tarries not, but waters the ground that it may be fertile and blossom, that is might give seed to the sower and bread to the eater; so shall my word be that I utter; it shall not return to me for nought, but shall accomplish my pleasure, and prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
~ Isaiah 55:6-11 (Kimicus Ad Absurdum translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment