Tuesday, August 26, 2014

My Mission, Indians, & Hacienda Jaunt

Today I accompanied my friend Marty on a short expedition to Fort Hunter Liggett to see Mission San Antonia de Padua and the Julia Morgan-designed Milpitas Ranchhouse a.k.a. "The Hacienda" as well as visit Indians on the Monterey District of the Los Padres National Forest all of which we accomplished. What follows is a photographic account of the high points of the endeavor which was my first visit to this area since prior to the 2008 Indians Fire which consumed 80,000 acres during which time the nearby twice-as-big 162,000-acre lightning-caused Big Basin Fire burned into it and they merged. There was evidence of this fire to be seen everywhere we were within the burn area. There was also notable evidence of recent wildfires from earlier this year which burned exclusively within the boundaries of FHL.
*Note: all day people in the area were telling me it was just called "The Hacienda" and not what I was calling it, to wit, "Milpitas Ranchhouse". A most cursory investigation online confirmed I was not losing my mind and both names are appropriate as are a couple of other variants.  

Front entrance to Mission San Antonia de Padua where a new traffic pattern was discovered and seismic retrofit construction fully underway now three weeks into a $15 million project.
My friend Marty trying to track down a roof tile memento... which he scored shortly after this image was captured.
View from the courtyard.
I had forgotten this fountain was here.
Despite the changes I found here the courtyard at least was unchanged.
The roses here gave off a wonderful fragrance which caused me to temporarily forget I don't especially like roses.
This fountain "makes" this courtyard.
This is located in front of the mission.
We visited the most excellent little museum located at the front of this mission.
As those who know me know this sort of thing is right up my alley.
These roof rain drain pipes are most cleverly-designed as noted by Marty.
Most Californians don't know the economy of the California region was once dominated by the hide and tallow trade.
Pre-electricity the only preservatives of note were cool, dry cellars and fermentation.
Note the notches on the wood beams.
Manos and matates are a common sight in the mission museum.
One of my favorite artifacts are these mano and matate combinations.
It is slightly jarring to first notice this symbol on these old pre-Third Reich baskets.
The second thought to come to mind seeing these swastikas with the eagle is some sort of pulp fiction serial storyline with Nazis going back in time and influencing ancient cultures.
I can't help myself from photographing these things.
The east wing of the main mission structure was never rebuilt and never will be, but makes an excellent archaeological site.
Salinan bedrock mortar in bedrock in Arroyo Seco headwaters creek.
Despite the severe drought there are vernal pools in the headwaters of the Arroyo Seco.
This is Indians and the open area here features a most desirable vibe and view.
View southeast from the probable camp or village site.
View west-northwest into the Ventana Wilderness Area of the Monterey District of the Los Padres National Forest. Note the bedrock mortars in the foreground. This was undoubtedly a Salinan camp or village site at some time.
I could easily imagine this overhang being used for shelter in conjunction with a lean-to.
Junipero Serra Peak behind the Indians meadow.
Me being the dork I am I always notice that white layer on the mountain in the background and wonder what formed it.
Closer view of the curious geologic feature on the nearby mountain and of the lean-to friendly overhangs in the foreground.
The fire lookout atop Junipero Serra Peak is no longer visible so I assume it burned in 2008.
The up-lifted sedimentary layers at Indians always give me pause to think about the earthquakes that are still uplifting them.
The Hacienda
In the summertime sunlight this building literally glows in a very Mediterranean-style fashion.
I fully intend to spend a night here someday... preferably in the company of a woman.
No, that is NOT an Islamic dome.
I love this hallway/corridor.
The restaurant no longer functions... the artwork on its walls was lovely and charming not to mention quite historical.
They just don't build things like this anymore... certainly not with the charm of places like this.
All photos by Kim Patrick Noyes (all rights reserved).

No comments:

Post a Comment