Sunday, September 11, 2016

My Favorite 9/11 Hero


Today is the 15th anniversary of 9/11. I can hardly fathom it has been a decade-and-a-half. Where has the time gone? What the hell happened? God used this event amongst other things to awaken me from my spiritual and emotional slumber. This event forced me to feel in ways I had not ever or had not in a long time. It profoundly affected me despite my not being directly involved in the events in question.

Being a tactile person, I possess some 9/11 touchstones. The documentary 9/11 is one of my touchstones. The story of this man that day is another one of my narrative touchstones and he is featured in the documentary which features the last images of him before he died. I have known Orio Palmer's story from the very first season of 9/11 documentaries back in 2002 of which 9/11 was the first and best. From the beginning, this man's story has stood out from that most honored group to which his belongs. However, with the passage of time his story on that day seems to stand out more and more profoundly to me.

I watched this segment again this afternoon and it hit me hard that he died now a year younger (at 45) than I am old today (46). He was more worthy to live to 46 than I am and accomplished much more in his 45 than I have in my 46 or that most people accomplish in their entire lives. Thank you Orio for the high bar you set for all of us. Rest in Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment