Thursday, September 22, 2016

Picture of the Day - Soberanes Fire Two-Month Anniversary

Two months ago this morning, the Soberanes Fire started from an illegal campfire in Garrapata State Park in Monterey County's Big Sur Coast in the Santa Lucia Range. It would quickly spread into the Ventana Wilderness Area of the  Monterey District of the Los Padres National Forest. It would also kill one firefighter and destroy 57 homes, all of which occurred in the first week or so of the fire. The fire has burned 125,344 acres and is 71% contained with the remaining 29% containment requiring many tens of thousands of acres of additional acreage to char. The image above was captured by  Cal Fire Air Attack 460 during the failed Extended Attack the first afternoon of the fire two months ago today. This image was posted on the Cal Fire BEU Facebook page noting the fire had at that point consumed 250 acres. For an enlarged version of image above just click on it.
Photo courtesy Cal Fire (all rights reserved).

No comments:

Post a Comment