Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Scripture of the Day - David (Ps. 118:17-18)

Yesterday, while hiking in the heat in the middle of the day on the southern flank of Machesna Mountain in the Los Padres National Forest (as discussed HERE), for a time I worried that I might actually cause my own death due to hyperthermia/heat stroke and/or heart failure. That was because I am out of shape and overweight and am working to get back to my fighting trim. At memorable point in the ascent before turning around due to my buddy Mike's dog's difficulties due to the heat and exertion, I heard a passage ring through my head loud and clear and it not only comforted me, but I knew it was coming direct from God. I then proceeded to forget about as it got buried in all my life's distractions.

This morning, for the first time in longer than I can remember, I attended my church's men's Psalms reading at 5:30 a.m. which gathering it holds nearly every Tuesday morning throughout the year aside from major holiday weeks. Not coincidentally, we read that passage at which point I smiled inwardly and later shared the relevance of the passage the day previous with my brothers this morning.
"I will not die, but live, and declare the Lord's works. The Lord has sorely disciplined me, but he has not stricken me physical death."
~ Psalm 118:17-18 (Kimicus ad Absurdum translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment