Saturday, April 28, 2012

My First Crab Cooker Encounter

Tonight we headed back down to Newport Beach, CA, to indulge our seafood appetite with a visit to the locally-legendary Crab Cooker restaurant. After a long wait of half an hour or so we were seated and feted with a memorable stream of tasty seafood. I sampled their large shrimp cocktail and smoked salmon appetizer followed by their combination plate main course washed down with Heineken beer. It was all very wonderful with a rather memorable Old California atmosphere. NOTE: my mother used to eat in this place back in the early to mid-1960's a half-century ago! One final note: check out my visit to this neighborhood earlier in the day HERE.
Quintessential California Culinary Kitsch.
The line awaiting a table was long as was the wait but well worth it!
A half-block down Balboa Boulevard was the entrance to the pier we visited this morning.
This delightful California coastal Springtime sunset scene actually made me reconsider my internal ban against ever moving down this way and at this point I would only be wiling to live near the beach.
The Crab Cooker in neon at dusk.
All photos by Kim Patrick Noyes (all rights reserved).

2 comments:

  1. I use to go there all the time when I lived up on the bluff from there... They made President Nixon wait to get in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously they were Democrats! I wonder if the IRS audited the Crab Cooker after that wait. ;-p

    ReplyDelete