Thursday, August 21, 2008

Random Musings of a Ramblin' Fool VI

Prologue

Well, this feels a bit unfamiliar: I'm posting a Random Musings blog after a three month hiatus from doing so. Did you miss them? Of course not!


Latest on the Home Front

Well, let me think: I'm still broke and now looking to sell my big meteorite and find a part-time job that is a good fit for me and my circumstances, Roommate #1 is turning out to be quite an odd one while Roommate #2 moved out last month and into his new girlfriend's place in SLO and I still haven't been able to replace him although there is hope that changed today, Mother continues doing her thing which doesn't include moving quite yet, my Brother continues doing his thing which doesn't include Mom or Me in his life, my Grandmother continues doing her thing which doesn't include a loan I humbly requested earlier this Summer, my formerly dear troubled female friend who once doubled as my cleaning lady continues doing her thing which doesn't seem to include hanging out with highest caliber of humanity, my landlord and landlady continue to do their individual things which doesn't include being together which bums me out as I like them both. Oh, and my desktop computer now constantly shuts off and then back on while ants are invading my house faster than Russians picking on a small neighboring democracy.

Something Sad I Saw

Last night while driving home just up my street and around the corner I came across a fawn that had just been hit and killed so I pulled off and stopped just down the hill a ways with the intent of going back and checking to make sure it was truly dead.
As I walked back to it I saw its mother approach the carcase so I backed off before I even reached it realizing it was dead and that the mother needed to be with the carcase.
Then today, while driving by the carcase I saw the mother still watching it from an adjacent field while their herd waited and watched from the field on the opposite side of the road.
How beautiful but how sad!


On Geopolitik

Since we last talked or more accurately, I ranted and you read it, Russia invaded a neighboring sovereign nation (Georgia) and the world stood by and did nothing including said nation's own allies which include the U.S.
My feeling is that Russian leader Vladimir Putin overreached and in the long run harmed his nation but in the near term made the U.S. and NATO and the U.N. look weak and impotent.
The single greatest failure of Bush 43's Presidency will turn out to be neglecting to deal adequately with Russia in much the same way Clinton 42 spent eight years inadequately dealing with Al Qaeda.

We appear to have triumphed in Iraq as Al Qaeda in Iraq has collapsed and the Sunni tribes are now working with us and fighting Al Qaeda and the Shiites are generally working with us with Al Sadr now trapped in Iran and not able to return and his Mahdi Army has essentially collapsed.
Now, the President of Iraq is asking us to create a timetable for withdrawal: GREAT NEWS!

Afghanistan/Pakistan is more unsettled now as Al Qaeda has packed up its bags in Iraq and refocused on Afghanistan.

Speaking of that part of the world, Pakistan's President Musharraf has left power and without a bullet being fired! He served our purpose to some extent but now Good Riddance!


On Realpolitik

McCain is surging at Obama's expense who's now falling back just a bit in the polls.
That being said, it is way too soon to put too much weight on polls before the conventions have even occurred.

I still can't believe Obama is the Democratic nominee.

I still can't believe McCain is the Republican nominee.

Neither has any genuine vision for America nor how we achieve it.

Is either man worthy of the job?

Is either man capable of competently undertaking the job?

Is either man capable of putting together a cabinet and staff as qualified and capable as the previous two Presidents or even the two before them?

More than at any other time during my life it is important that both Presidential candidates choose their respective running mates very well and not just to help them get elected but select men or women who will bring a high degree of competency and confidence to the job. The reason I say this is obvious: McCain is old enough to die or become incapacitated in office from old age, whereas Obama could conceivably be harmed by somebody slipping through the cracks in security and doing the junior Senator from Illinois grave harm.


Gas Prices

Earlier this week I saw gas for just under $4 per gallon at the gas station on the north side of Greenfield, CA. Will this trend continue? I sure hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment