Thursday, March 29, 2012

Mojave Desert Mini-Rockhounding Adventure

On the way back from Utah this past Monday my friend Dave and I stopped at a road-side off-ramp and desert access way along Interstate-15 so he could nap for a short time. I took advantage of this opportunity to rockhound in the Mojave Desert there just a short distance from the nearby rockhounding locations known as Field Siding and the Alvord Hills. Predictably, I found some nice chalcedonys and jaspers as well as some flakes from some ancient arrowhead-making activities. I had fun for the relatively short time I was there and hope to make it back again to that area later this year. If that works out I also hope to revisit the Calico Early Man Site.

Alvord Mountains in the distance to the north.
Calico Mountains in the distance to the west.
The area abounded in various forms of cryptocrystalline quartz and basaltic rocks.
All photos by Kim Patrick Noyes (all rights reserved).

No comments:

Post a Comment