Monday, May 5, 2014

Picture of the Day - Latest Rock Booty

This is the sum of my booty from this past weekend's 23rd Annual Rockhound Roundup Gem, Mineral, Fossil, & Jewelry Show in Paso Robles, CA, for which I am chairman. Being I'm a starving student I'm on a frugal budget I splurged $53 to purchase these three items clockwise from top left: agatized turritella from Southern Morocco near the Mali border; Sahara blue glass of uncertain origin; lower Triassic petrified wood (chalcocite with malachite) from Nacimiento Mine, Cuba, New Mexico. As you can see I am drawn to minerological oddities.
Photo by Kim Patrick Noyes (all rights reserved).

1 comment:

  1. Ironically, I was reading about Agate Turritella last week and how it's a misnomer for the actual agatized snail, Elimia tenera. By the time a true accounting could be made, the name had become widespread so the wrong name stuck. That's your geo info of the day. LOL Congrats on obtaining some fine specimens!

    ReplyDelete