Friday, July 24, 2015

Pharoah's Fury In Paso

Last night following the David Crowder concert at the California Mid-State Fair, me and some of my church family messed around for a little while at the fair itself. A few of them wanted to ride the ferris wheel so we headed over to that part of the fairgrounds. I don't do such rides so I shot these images instead. One of the rides there, a giant swing, was christened "Pharaoh's Fury" and featured at both ends the likeness of a pharoah's head adorned with a Nemes headdress. Its supports were lit in such a way as to emphasize a pyramid-like profile. It struck me the pervasiveness of Egyptian pharaonic culture across time and space. Here I was in Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo County, California, United States of America, North America, in the year 2015, thousands of years since the last pharaoh and here I encountered last night a likeness of and reference to that culture, albeit highly-stylized.
Both images by Kim Patrick Noyes (all rights reserved).

No comments:

Post a Comment