Thursday, May 30, 2013

Memories of Daggorath

Tonight I used the word "syntax" in an online comment which reminded me of the two-word expression "syntax error". That is a computer message which harks back to my days as a preteen in 1983 playing with my very first computer, a TRS-80 computer from Radio Shack where my dad worked at the time. That computer used BASIC computer language and "syntax error" often came up if any command was given the machine which did not conform to its language. This then reminded me of my first ever computer game, "Dungeons of Daggoroth" which I played quite a bit but not for very long as I soon got hooked playing games on friend's and then later my own Atari 2600 game console. Anywho, I still hold fond memories of and harbor strong childhood feelings for "Dungeons of Daggorath" a game which captured my imagination with it's quirky appearance and feel and its creepy sound and memorable beating heart. A short internet search revealed to me the game was not only quite revolutionary but that many other people in my general age group played the game and remember it fondly and it is highly-regarded amongst gamers.  Not only that, but I also discovered quite happily that people still play it and I can download the game and play it for free now as it is in the public domain apparently. I never really thought of myself as having been in the vanguard of home computer gaming when it all broke forth upon society about 30 years ago, but now that I think about it I really was. Below is a good primer on the game.   

No comments:

Post a Comment