Saturday, April 26, 2008

My First Antelope Valley Gem, Mineral & Jewelry Show Pt. 2

The alarm sounded early but my body resisted the summons to the day.
However, we had much work remaining from the night previous in getting set-up for this weekend's Antelope Valley Gem, Mineral, and Jewelry Show at Lancaster High School.
Somehow I mustered the strength to get out of bed and get myself going and after reserving a room for Saturday night we headed over to the show just after 7 a.m.
Once there we got busy completing our preparations and finished by the 9 a.m. show starting time.

The promised mobile coffee vendor was there until a bit later but once they did it was well worth the wait as the retired marine and his wife tarried all day to serve vendor, club membor and visitor alike with great coffee and food.

Milo, my closest neighboring dealer/vendor played Celine Dion tracks all morning during set-up which was just plain down wrong. ;-p
It was way too early in the morning to be hearing her crooning on and on with all her soulless poppish gusto devoid of soul. >:-O

Later in the morning Andy Delong and Milo and Vivian got into a bit of a testy exchange about Andy's unfounded allegation that he was robbed of his spot by Milo.
The whole thing seemed so stupid and besides, what was the point in bringing it up now that the show was underway?
Poor Vivian! She was SO patient.
If I ever am a dealer chair I will be reasonable and respectful and patient up to a point but will be the "Dealer Nazi" when anybody injects unnecessary drama into the process.

Once the show started I was off and running by 9:30 with my first sale.
The day continued like that throughout until things quieted down a bit too much by late afternoon with nothing but Milo's continued Celine Dion tracks to keep us company.

Overall I could not complain one bit the show and how the day played out.
I was very impressed with the community enthusiasm towards the show in coming out in the numbers they did as well as folks willingness to spend money.

Today was by far and away my best day of the year so far and I could not be more pleased.

During the course of the day my girlfriend phoned me to say there were brush fires breaking out in various locations across California, mostly in the Southland with the two most significant ones being near Running Springs on the San Bernardino National Forest which they got a handle on as well as another one above Arcadia/Monrovia on the Angeles National Forest which you can see here.

Late in the day Lancaster High School's prom began marshalling on the campus to be bused elsewhere.
The kids looked remarkably mature and "adult" all gussied up like they were although some of the girl's outfits struck me as a bit too revealing for gals that young at a high school function.
What scares me is that was my first and only reaction: not ogling the leggy and/or low-cut young hotties but instinctively parentally reacting in a "you're not going out that door dressed that way young lady" sort of way.
I'm not even a father so where did that come from?
I must be getting old. >:-O

Anywho, after the show ended we headed back to Motel 6 and checked into our room and then after resting up went out in Lancaster and got dinner at Rubios and then headed back to the room and watched TV and I worked on the internet and then retired for the night to the sounds of the city (mainly sirens) only partially drowned out by the air conditioner.

2 comments:

  1. HEY ITS VIVIAN NOT VICKY, SORRY WE WERE SO BORING AND DID NOT HAVE ALOT OF WEIRD THINGS GOING ON,LOL, THE DRAMA OF A SHOW,HOPE WE GAVE YOU SOME FUN STUFF TO BLOG ABOUT.
    VIVIAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian,
    I beg your pardon.
    I darned well know your name as my referring to you by it all weekend clearly demonstrated but I was out-of-my-head tired when I composed that blog.

    Kimusinteruptus

    ReplyDelete