Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Orcutt Mineral Society Meeting For September 2008

Tonight I finally made it to a meeting of the Orcutt Mineral Society both as a prospective new member as well as representing the San Luis Obispo Gem & Mineral Club for whom I'm Veep.

Actually, the club meets in adjacent Santa Maria and in reality represents the entire Santa Maria Valley and Northern Santa Barbara County area.

They are the largest, oldest and most organized of the three clubs representing the Central Coast.

They meet as a club on the second Tuesday of each month (except June and December) at the Mussel Senior Center at 510 East Park in Santa Maria.

I have been talking about joining for a couple of years or so now but this month I finally actually remembered it in time to not miss it and actually had enough gas money to do it as the 100 mile round trip drive is not terribly cheap.

It was nice seeing some familiar faces I know like President Wayne Mills and President-elect Debbie Hood and of course Treasurer and Show Chair Wes Lingerfelt.

I felt very welcome and have decided to join the club and will be handing my membership form and dues to one of the aforementioned three people (whichever one I see first) later this month at the Paso Robles show.

One frustrating detail: they will be conducting an extremely awesome field trip onto one of the Dana Ranches for which they have special permission to hunt for Nipomo Agate (marcasitic, sagenitic, and bean field) the same weekend as the Paso Robles show so meaning I will miss out.
My newest obsession is Nipomo Agate so I feel sick about that detail but perhaps they will do that again next year but on a different weekend.

Kimmer

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete