Thursday, February 12, 2009

East Santa Margarita Lake Photo-Trek

Yesterday a buddy of mine headed out towards Pozo with our dogs and went trekking back towards the dam from the River Road access point. I decided to take a photo journal of my little adventure and share it with you. Note: the Santa Margarita Lake and Salinas Reservoir are one and the same and both names are used here interchangeably.


Heading out Blinn Ranch Trail which follows the old road for much of the way.


Towering cumulonimbus with Salinas River thickets in foreground.


Not-so-grainy image of the fearsome Chupacabra I encountered.


Leafless trees growing in the Salinas River bottoms.


Winter dormancy leaves these Salinas River vines looking dead.


Pink patch of duckweed growing on the surface of the Salinas River.


More patches of pink duckweed on the surface of the Salinas River.


Close-up of duckweed.


I've always envisioned the ancient Chumash camping next to this outcropping.


For some reason this oak always catches my attention when I walk by it.


Wind ripples the surface of the Salinas River.


Blinn Ranch Trail headed westerly and outbound towards the dam.


From the same location looking back from whence I just came.


Cumulonimbus build-ups looming up behind a grove of Digger Pines.


View from within an old cellar.


Outside view of the same cellar of a long-abandoned farm building.


View of the cellar roof which was also the floor of the old building.


An old nearby water cistern.


An even larger nearby water cistern.


An old oak tree with a lot going on.


Panarama of the aforementioned old farm structures.


A giant brown and green Tribble growing in a young Digger Pine.




A big burl with a big smile.


High and dry cattails obscuring a bass-breeding pen.


Our turnaround spot overlooking Santa Margarita Lake.


Towering cumulonimbus over the horizon to the south.


Heading back at this point I captured Tequila on the right side of the photo.


Machesna Mountains as background.


Woodpecker Valentine's Day Massacre of this Digger Pine.


Whatever this is called I love the delicate beauty of its texture.


At this point the weather started getting stormy and ominous.


This storm cell made me nervous as it approached us.


Thankfully, it passed right by us sprinkling with only a few drops fo rain.


This isn't to say I wasn't concerned about lightening getting us out in the open.


Then a faint rainbow appeared and I felt safe.


Okay, I merely felt a bit safer.


The towering cumulonimbus to the south never let up the entire time.


I love this scene: dark cloud, rainbow, oak tree, reddish plant, etc.


Another oak that always grabs my attention whenever I walk here.


Winds from that storm whipping the surface of the Salinas River.


I doubt you can see it but this rainbow ends on top of a house.


This oak grew out of a crack in the rock here.


Looking back from whence I just came along the old road.


Looking in the direction I'm headed along the old road.


This scene really grabbed me for some reason.


I love Digger Pines and don't know why they are so unpopular.


This is a magnificent old oak at the trail head parking lot along River Road.



Kimmer

3 comments:

  1. Great photos, and thanks for sharing them!

    I can't wait to go hiking out there sometime with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure and I insist you accompany me out there sometime: there is something to be had there for each season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXCELLENT photo essay! Loved the oak full of mistletoe (target practice!!!!!!)-seriously, though, the oaks are so wickedly gnarly that they appear to have popped out of an Anderson fairy tale. And I've never seen grass growing from a tree! AMAZING! Guess I was too much the desert rat when I was out there...

    The only thing is that the Chupacabra (o_0) was way too scary... ;-)

    PS Krissa, I know that when you go, we'll have even more great pictures, as your gift is in seeing the tiny, the minuscule miracles of everyday life around us.

    ReplyDelete