Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Virgin River Gorge & Environs Eastbound Passage

I first took passage as an adult through the Virgin River Gorge via Interstate-15 last year. I was immediately struck at that time by its appearance and the intuitive and emotional reaction it elicited within me and continues to elicit within me. Despite the Uniformitarianist interpretation of how this feature was formed and how long it took for that to occur there is a sense and appearance of geologic upheaval and violence here. This is quite similar to what I observed and felt a year ago at the Gates of Lodore in Northeast Utah. What the significance of this is I know not and I will not deign to idly speculate on that which I do not understand. What I do know is that I captured these images on Wednesday, June 15, 2011, en route from Paso Robles, CA, to St. George, UT












All photos by Kim Patrick Noyes (all rights reserved)

2 comments:

  1. The formations look a lot like those in Southern Wyoming.Interesting... and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Northern Arizona and Southern Utah are indistinguishable.... the boundary is a man-made one.... I love the whole area and would love to settle in the area someday.

    ReplyDelete