Monday, November 26, 2012

Remembering My Father

In 1978, Dick Weiss co-founded along with son John, Coast Electronics , which they both co-owned for many years as Radio Shack franchise stores in Atascadero, Morro Bay, and San Luis Obispo. John now is sole owner of the remaining stores in Morro Bay and Los Osos.  My late father James Gordon Noyes worked at the Atascadero store in 1983-1985 and earned the respect of his coworkers and customers alike. Dick is now retired from Coast Electronics and for a number of years authored a community news column in the now-defunct Estero Bay area weekly newspaper the Sun-Bulletin. Dick appeared at the 2006 Autumn Cayucos Gem, Mineral, & Jewelry Show which was my second ever show during my run in the rock-selling business. At that time he and I had a pleasant little talk remembering my father and wondering at what a small world it is that he and I would cross paths as we did that day six years ago. In the October 18-24, 2006 issue of the Sun Bulletin, his column kindly mentioned my late father who died 27 years ago today as I described in Losing A Father:
"This being a small world, Kim Patrick Noyes of Atascadero was another new exhibitor.
His father, Jim Noyes worked for Coast Electronics/Radio Shack at our Atascadero store as a subcontractor when he had a tragic accident about 20 years ago.
Jim was a fine man."
Courtesy of the San Luis Obispo Tribune, owner of the Sun Bulletin at the time the above article was published.

No comments:

Post a Comment