Monday, October 17, 2016

Loma Prieta Quake Remembrance In Five Images

I find it nearly unfathomable that it was 27 years ago today that the Loma Prieta Earthquake and the then-concurrent 1989 World Series pitting the San Francisco Giants against their crosstown rivals the Oakland Athletics. Where has the time gone? That was the defining disaster of my coming of age and yet nearly nobody I'm going to school with at Cal Poly and certainly nobody I am teaching at Atascadero High School was even yet born when all that happened. I feel both old and timeless in a contradictory hibridity I cannot adequately put into words.

I still remember CNN Sports Tonight's Fred Hickman referring to the 1989 World Series as "Bays Ball."



I have one or two original copies of this newspaper stored somewhere on the premises.



I have added this location to my bucket list of places in California I wish to visit.
Photo by Fogcat5/Creative Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment