Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sopaipilla Food-Gasms Galore!

Today we had lunch in Old Town Albuquerque at Church Street Cafe waiting for Dave's son's blues guitar contest to start later in the day. Unlike the other day when we were east-bound and stopped in for breakfast and their fryer was not ready to make us sopaipillas we were able to scratch our sopaipilla itch this time. For starters there was the appetizer of fresh sopaipillas with honey which were typically great. For dessert there was a large sopaipilla stuffed with vanilla ice cream and topped with whipped cream which was even better. Later on after the music contest Dave and his son and his son's mother's family and I all met up at Ortega's Mexican Restaurant where I ordered to go a red chile sauce and chicken stuffed sopaipilla. I ate it later after we dropped anchor in Grants, NM. This latter item was incredibly delicious as well and on this day I ran the tables of my sopaipilla trifecta.

Two fresh sopaipilla served as appetizers at Church Street Cafe.
Served warm and fresh with honey this is food of the gods.
When I saw this on the menu I flipped: sopaipillas stuffed with vanilla ice cream and topped with whipped cream. I flipped again when I saw one on my plate. All photos by Kim Patrick Noyes (all rights reserved).

No comments:

Post a Comment