Saturday, March 25, 2017

Picture of the Day - The Shining of the "B" Building


My 10th grade world history classes at Atascadero High School started this academic year being held in the "H" wing. However, that building is being thoroughly remodeled and upgraded soon. Therefore, in February we were moved along with the other classes being held in that structure to other rooms in other buildings scattered throughout the campus. My classes were relocated to a room on the second floor of the old Virginia Black Union High School Building, now called the "B" building. I was last in a classroom here in the spring of 1989, the year I graduated from this school. The place was built back in the early 1920s. I often come to my classroom before dawn to get work done or I come on Saturday to work on my lesson plans or edTPA. In either case, I am very much alone in the building and have gotten to know it better. When I am there I do not feel alone. The place has a heavy feel and it makes mysterious noises. I realize it is nearly a century old and old buildings creek. I get that. There is more than that going on, however. I am sensitive to these things and have been in many creepy-looking old buildings and felt nothing. That is not the case with this building. I do not believe in ghosts, but there is something about this place. It "shines", whatever that means. I shot this image at midday today with my phone as I left for home. Note: this structure shall be demolished in the next few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment