Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Top 10 Favorite Film Quotes

Here is a list of my current top ten favorite film quotes. I could have easily made it a top twenty or thirty but for purposes of brevity and thematically sticking with my Top Ten List series here is my latest one. As might be expected from me there are some deep concepts contained in most of these, some of which touch on  existentialist themes as I am oft wont to do.

  1. "Big things have small beginnings." ~ David (Michael Fassbender) in Prometheus.
  2. "I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!" ~ Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day Lewis) in There Will Be Blood.
  3. "But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. ~ Errol Partridge (Sean Bean) quoting W.B. Yeats in Equilibrium.
  4. "Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try." ~ Yoda in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
  5. "You hear that Mr. Anderson?... That is the sound of inevitability... It is the sound of your death..." ~ Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) in The Matrix.
  6. "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." ~ Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks) in Forrest Gump.
  7. "The world is changed, I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it. ~ Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) in The Fellowship of the Ring.
  8. "You're all gonna die. The only question is how you check out. Do you want it on your feet? Or on your fuckin' knees... begging? I ain't much for begging! Nobody ever gave me nothing! So I say *fuck* that thing! Let's fight it!" ~ Dillon (Charles Dutton) in Alien 3.
  9. "I find your lack of faith disturbing." ~ Darth Vader in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
  10. "Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?" ~ Agent Sands (Johnny Depp) in Once Upon A Time In Mexico.

3 comments:

  1. Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation... nor would I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in fact exist, sir.
    Willard to Colonel Lucas, Apocolypse Now.


    David O'C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger Ebert 6/18/1942 - 4/4/2013. "Really? Hmmm, what an incredibly shallow list, what with all of the idle time you have."

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, That's a good one... to include all my favorite lines it would have to be a Top 100 list.

    Anonymous, I know who you are. I won't give you the honor of name-mention. Given your long list of character defects and personality flaws I take any criticism from you as an unintentional compliment and validation. I am too busy with multiple jobs (and I'm adding more), full-time school (14 units) and community volunteerism to even remember what idle time is. BTW, someday you will die alone and nobody will much care!

    ReplyDelete